Dear Friends of 15th Suffolk,
Our last few newsletters have been in the words of Rep Nika’s husband “not fun.” This time we are a bit lighter, focused on opportunities to engage. We’d also like to introduce Frida, our newest addition to Team Nika! Named by Isabel after her favorite artist and strong influence in her own panting, Frida Kahlo. Adjusting to working from home has been a challenge, but it’s not all bad, with the company of our furry (in this case feathered) friends.
We continue to be grateful for all you’re so generously doing to encourage one another and to stay healthy during the coronavirus outbreak.
Support the District Through Volunteering & Donations
- JP Centre South Main Streets is crowdfunding for Jamaica Plain Main Streets #ReliefFund! Relief Fund grants have already been given to employees of Jamaica Plain businesses who are ineligible for public financial assistance. Learn more and contribute here!
- Roslindale Village Farmer’s Market is looking for volunteers to help staff the market! Volunteer roles include setting up for the market in the morning, staffing the market entrance, staffing the hand-washing station, staffing the market exit, or breaking down and putting away market supplies. You can volunteer for just an hour or two OR sign up for shifts throughout the market. Email email@example.com to learn more & sign up!
Local Movies, Artists, and Summer Jobs
- JP Movie Night’s First Drive-In Experience is showing ‘Groundhog Day’ on Saturday, June 27 at St. Theresa of Avila Church in West Roxbury. JP Movie Night (JPMN) is working in collaboration with the church, JP’s Centre/South Main Streets, and with the cooperation of West Roxbury Main Streets, the event is serving as a fundraiser for the Jamaica Plain Main Streets Relief Fund, as all proceeds are going to support individuals who have lost their incomes due to the virus. You can find the details here!
- To support the vital, ongoing work of individual artists Mass Cultural Council created an online resource ArtSake, where they compile a weekly list of opportunities for artists including a way to find your next contest, artist residency, call to artists, publication, and more.
- SuccessLink Leaders (Reserved for Ages 19-24) is hiring for their Blueshirts Summer Program and their Youth Engagement & Employment Internship.You can learn more below and at this link.
Support Local Reopening
- Roxbury Crossing Farmer’s Market opened on this week on Tuesday and is open Tuesdays and Fridays from 11AM-6:30PM through the end of November and is located at Roxbury Crossing T Station,! Join Rep Nika there on Friday July 10th at 12:00 or watch the livestream on our Facebook Page!
- Roslindale Village Farmer’s Market opened on June 6th, and is open Saturdays from 9:00am-1:30pm. From 9:00am to 9:30am part of their market that is dedicated to Seniors and At-Risk Shoppers. In case you missed it, you cant watch Rep Nika’s livestream of opening day here!
- On Centre Street, Orange Means Open! If you are wondering where to go, look for the ORANGE lanterns in #JamaicaPlain to find out which businesses are OPEN!